To help people take the next step in love.
To see our community awakened and transformed by love.
We believe God’s love and grace are being extended to all people.
God is awakening hearts to believe and receive salvation through Jesus Christ, then empowering them through the Holy Spirit to grow in love for God and others throughout their life’s journey.
7 Paths to Grow in Love
12 Core Values
Rev. Jodi Getson
“I believe God has incredible things in store for our Church in these days. I consider it a great honor and privilege to lead and serve both our people and our community.”
Jodi and her husband Marty, along with their children Lexi and Brady moved to Oxford from PEI in 2016. She has a business background and spent many years in the Insurance Restoration Industry before she accepted the call to Lead Pastor in the summer of 2019.
Jodi spent many years of her ministry training with Nazarene Compassionate Ministries working as an International Field Operator. She currently serves as District NMI President for the Canada Atlantic District of the Church of the Nazarene.
Jodi loves to connect with all types of people and help them in their journey of faith – regardless of where they are along that journey!
Director of Youth Ministries:
Pastor Tyler Hobbs &
Director of Children’s Ministries:
“We are confident that God is at work in Oxford and area and are thrilled to be a part of that.”
Tyler and Leah moved to the outskirts of Oxford from northern Manitoba in 2010. Since then, they have become a family of 5, started a hobby farm, began a Custom Honey Extraction business and served the Lord in Springhill, NS.
In summer 2019, they felt God nudging them to accept the call to join the staff at OxNaz.
Together they have more than a decade of experience in youth and children ministry in different church contexts.
They are excited to see God’s Kingdom come on earth as church families work together to proclaim Christ to all ages until He comes back.
Verna joined our team in 2020. She is a lifelong resident of Oxford and has been a member of the Oxford Church of the Nazarene for over 20 years and brings many years of administrative experience. She, and her family, have been involved in various areas of our church and she is excited to be a part of what God has planned for OxNaz!
A brief overview of the history of the Oxford Church of the Nazarene
In 1901, Mr. L.J. King a converted Roman Catholic priest, held revival meetings in Springhill and Oxford, Nova Scotia. As a result of these meetings, Dr. Hiram F. Reynolds was invited to organize these groups into churches of the Pentecostal Association of America. In October, 1902, the Springhill “Wesley Pentecostal Church” and the following month the “Second Pentecostal Church” in Oxford was duly organized. Dr. Reynolds stayed with the Oxford work until its first pastor, Rev. George Noble of Haverhill, Massachusetts, arrived in late 1902.
The yellowing pages of the Oxford Journal for May 9th, 1908, record the following interesting facts concerning the Oxford Church. “In the month of April, 1903, at the annual meeting of the Association of Pentecostal Churches of America, held in Brooklyn, New York, this church was voted into the association… and is known as the Second Pentecostal Church of Nova Scotia. It has been said that the church building in Oxford stands today not only as the oldest church of the Nazarene in continuous use by one congregation, but probably also the oldest structure occupied by any church in the denomination. “The building was erected in 1876.”
(Luke 14:17) Unfortunately this was the only assembly held, as the area was shortly merged with the New England District. Nethertheless, a desire for a separate district remained through the years, until in 1943 the Maritime delegation to the New England District Assembly was instructed to petition for a Maritime District to be set apart. The Petition granted, the Board of General Superintendents appointed Rev. W.W. Tink (photo) as the District Superintendent. With 9 congregations and 247 members, the Maritime District was declared a functioning body at O’Leary, Prince Edward Island, on July 8th, 1943.